Friday, March 31, 2006

Boston Marathon Countdown

The 110th Boston Marathon is just over two weeks away. Race day is Monday, April 17. After months of training, most entrants are tapering. The hard work is done. Now it's time to cut back on the mileage, pray for good weather ("It can't be hot four years in a row."), keep a positive attitude, and try not to go stir-crazy. I've never run a marathon, so I've never experienced the mental stress of the marathon taper, but I know the signs. It can be a tough time for runners of all abilities. Hang in there, everyone.

Lots of people are excited about this year's elite field of runners. Hailu Negussie of Ethiopia will be back to defend his 2005 title. As usual, there will be a strong contingent of Kenyans. But the buzz is all about the American field. Alan Culpepper (fourth place in 2005) and Meb Keflezighi will lead the strongest American field in years. Could this be the year an American takes first in the men's race?

Boston Marathon Leader BoardLuckily I'll have a front-row seat -- well, not a seat really. Just like last year, I'll be working the leader board with my brother and sisters. We just received confirmation of our assignment this week. I can't wait.
 

No comments: